California Legal Document Assistant Bonds
What is a California Legal Document Assistant Bond?
Those applying for a certificate to act as a California Legal Document Assistant per Business & Professions Code Sections 6400 Et Seq. must post a surety bond to legally conduct business in California. The bond ensures lawful business practices and compliance with jurisdictional rules and regulations. The bonded principal is obligated to comply with the provisions of Division 3, Chapter 5.5 of the California Business and Professions Code. Per state requirements, the bond must be furnished for a 2-year term. Sometimes this bond is confused with another bond in California called an Immigration Consultant Bond in the amount of $100,000.
Get Your California Legal Document Assistant Bond
Legal Document Assistant Bonds And Getting Your California Business License/Registration
Following are the general steps required to register as a California Legal Document Assistant:
- Establish your business as a Corporation, Partnership, or Individual/Sole Proprietor and register with the California Secretary of State as required
- Contact your county clerk to determine specific registration requirements for Legal Document Assistants in your county including education credentials among other specific items
- Review and familiarize yourself with the California Business and Professions Code §§ 6400-6415 to ensure you have a solid understanding of the laws and guidelines governing Legal Document Assistants
- Purchase a surety bond as described on this page
- Obtain and complete the appropriate application for registration as a California Legal Document Assistant
- Submit required documents and pay fees for application and recording of the bond