Florida Financially Responsible Officer (FRO) Bonds
Florida Financially Responsible Officer Bond Information
A Financially Responsible Officer Bond (aka FRO Bond) is a type of surety bond required for those authorized to conduct business under Chapter 455, Florida Statutes. The surety bond is typically in a coverage amount of $100,000 and its payable to the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board for fines and costs pursuant to Rule 61G4-15.0021, Florida Administrative Code. The surety bond designates a certain individual to be held responsible for lawful and ethical accounting, reporting and other fiduciary responsibilities required of the organization. Certain contractors may also need to furnish Construction License Bond with the Florida Construction License Board to meet certain financial responsibility requirements.
What does a Financially Responsible Officer Bond Protect Against?
The purpose of the Financially Responsible Officer Bond is to ensure payment of fines and costs pursuant to Rule 61G4-15.0021, Florida Administrative Code. This surety bond guarantees payments to the State Treasurer of the State of Florida as required by all laws of the State of Florida Business and Professional Regulation. The surety bond also ensures faithful and accurate bookkeeping, record keeping, lawful reporting, and business conduct as it pertains to the laws and rules of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Getting Your Florida Business License or Registration
Licensing Requirements for the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Construction Industry Licensing Board Application for Financially Responsible Officer:
- Complete Sections III-VIII application (Form # DBPR CILB 8)
- Pay required fees for Financially Responsible Officer application
- Provide a credit report on applicant from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency, which includes a public records statement that records have been checked at local, state, and federal levels.
- Furnish a Bond for Financially Responsible Officer as described above
- Submit proof of satisfaction of any liens, judgments, and discharge of bankruptcy
- Provide electronic fingerprints for applicant
- Include any supporting legal documentation, if necessary
Other Helpful Information and Links
If the qualifying contractor does not have final approval authority of all financial matters, the company will need to designate a Financially Responsible Officer. If the company designates a financially responsible officer to take financial responsibility for the company, that individual must complete the FRO application and secure a surety bond on behalf of the organization.
Completed application, documentation and required fees are to be mailed to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation 2601 Blair Stone Road Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783