Washington Private Investigative Agency Bond
Washington Private Investigative Agency Bond Information
A Private Investigative Agency Surety Bond must be furnished by those having applied for a Private Investigative Agency license with the Business and Professions Division of the State of Washington. The surety bond is legally mandated by Title 18 RCW, Laws of 1991 and the penal sum of the bond must be ten thousand ($10,000.00) Dollars. The purpose of the bond is to ensure compliance with all provisions of State of Washington laws along with all rules and regulations adopted by the Director of the Department of Licensing. The surety bond also obligates the licensed private detective agency to pay all amounts that may due as a result of violations of state laws or regulations. Anyone harmed by the bonded principal's non-compliance may file suit on this bond in the Superior Court of the County in which principal's business is located, or of any county in which the principal maintains jurisdiction.
Getting Your Washington Business License or Registration
- A Private Investigative Agency License is required in Washington for any business that provides investigation, escort, or bodyguard services, or performs property loss prevention activities.
- Basic requirements for all agency owners, partners, or qualifying agents include; Must be at least 18 years old if applying for unarmed license, at least 21 years old if applying for armed license, and must be s United States citizen or resident alien. The agency principal must have no criminal convictions that directly relate to his or her capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or that hinders public safety. Lastly, the business must have a physical location in Washington.
- Submit the license application
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks
- Provide $10,000 Private Investigative Agency Surety Bond or Certificate of liability insurance with minimum coverage of $25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage as financial security
- If a corporation, a copy of the articles of incorporation and a list of officers’ names and addresses is required