Missouri Motor Vehicle Dealer Bonds
Missouri Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond Information
Missouri statutes require that the following types of licensed motor vehicle dealers purchase $50,000 surety bonds.
- New motor vehicle franchised dealers
- Used motor vehicle dealers
- Powersport dealers
- Trailer dealers
- Wholesale motor vehicle dealers
- Boat dealers
Missouri Dealer Changes since 2018
Effective August 28, 2018, per Senate Bill 707, the minimum bond requirement increased from $25,000 to $50,000. Bonds, or riders increasing coverage, in the amount of $50,000 must be obtained to continue operation for the remainder of the 2018 dealer licensure year.
House Bill 1963 requires a $100,000 bond amount for dealers who have delayed delivery of 30+ days or are otherwise selling vehicles before the dealer has title to the vehicle.
How Much Does a Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond Cost in Missouri?
Most Common Bonds
What Does a Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond Protect Against?
The surety bond protects persons sustaining financial losses due to acts by the bonded principal that constitute license suspension or revocation. In the event of a claim against the bond, a Missouri court may render a judgment against the principal resulting in surety bond proceeds being paid upon receipt by the Missouri Department of Revenue to the aggrieved party. Damages may be paid up to the full amount of the bond and the bonded principal is obligated to indemnify the surety company for losses paid out. In order to cancel the bond, the surety company must provide 30 days advance written notice to the Missouri Department of Revenue.
Getting Your Missouri Business License or Registration
The following is an overview of key motor vehicle dealer licensing requirements in Missouri.
- Completed Application for Dealer, Auction, Manufacturer License and Number Plates
- Inspection/Certification by authorized law enforcement officer
- $50,000 or $100,000 Corporate Surety Bond
- Current photograph of the bona fide place of business (building, lot, and sign)
- Criminal Record Check
- Copy of the permanent signed order and photograph of the business’ temporary sign, if applicable
- Copy of the garage liability policy (manufacturers, auctions and trailer dealers are exempt)
- Copy of your dealer seminar certificate, if applicable
- Manufacturer’s letter outlining operation, if applicable
- Fees for licensure, plates and record check as required
- Additional items may be needed and exact requirements may vary based on applicant, license type or obligee discretion. Please see obligee and state links in the Other Helpful Information and Links section below or contact the obligee directly for more information.