Virginia Driver Training School or Third Party Tester Bond
Virginia Driver Training School or Third Party Tester Bond Information
Driver Training Schools and Third Party Testers must post surety bonds as required by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Licensing Division. The surety bonds are written on forms DTS 22 or TPT 556 and the penal sum, or amount of the bond is $5,000 for Class B Driver Training Schools and Third Party Testers, and $100,000 for Class B Driver Training Schools. The surety bond is legally mandated in the Commonwealth of Virginia to indemnify anyone who may be damaged due to the bonded principal's violation of any of the provisions of Chapter 17, Title 46.2 of the Code of Virginia or who may be harmed by fraud, fraudulent representation or violation by the bonded principal, its agents or employees.
How Much Does a Driver Training School or Third Party Tester Bond Cost in Virginia?
Getting Your Virginia Business License or Registration
The following steps are required to open a Driver Training School in Virginia:
1. Preparation steps before applying:
- Review legislation pertaining to driver training schools at Virginia State Code
- Contact the Virginia DMV Commercial Licensing Work Center to have the name of your school approved.
- Review the Class B Driver Training School Contract Requirements which lists the requirements for the customer contract/agreement form.
- Obtain a business license in your local jurisdiction
2. Application requirements:
- Complete Class B School License Application (form DTS 33B)
- Furnish a Surety Bond in the amount of $5,000 (Surety Bonds Direct will complete form DTS 22 on your behalf)
- Provide a copy of the customer contract/agreement form
- A Vehicle Insurance Certification for each vehicle. Vehicles must meet certain state requirements and be equipped with safety equipment that meets regulatory safety requirements
- Provide proof of a local business license
- Submit to a national criminal history record
- Pay required state license fee